British developers CodeStore recently announced the availability of a new iOS app template – ‘Comic Book App’, a way to publish digital comics on the App Store, without the need to learn how to develop an App.
The easy to use template, which costs just $27, loads pages in JPEG format, and outputs a native iPad App, ready for the App Store.
The Comic Book App project has the following features:
- Loads pages from image files, easily add pages to the project, no coding required
- Simply save your pages as .jpg files and the Comic Book App will display them in order
- Supports ‘Zoom’, adapt the zoom level to suit your comic, again, no coding required
- Supports high-resolution images for great detail even when zoomed
- Swipe between pages, or use on-screen buttons
- Animated page transitions, and app launch animation
- Supports an unlimited number of pages
- Includes an example comic book
- Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left format comics supported (useful if Manga is your genre)
CodeStore offers a range of projects for producing Book Apps for iPhone and iPad, the projects on offer allow authors who may not be familiar with coding or software development to easily create an app from their content. The projects are apps that load content in HTML or JPEG format – so no knowledge of the Objective-C programming language is required to create a book using the templates.
Codestore say templates have opened up the App Store book market to a world of authors who had previously got stuck at the hurdle or either learning iOS software development, or paying an expensive price to have an app built for them.
DesignerÂ Chris Mayer is an iOS and Mac developer based in Chichester, who has developed apps in a number of categories, mostly focusing on games, entertainment titles and books. Get in touch via contactATchrismayerapps.co.uk; check him out onÂ Facebook;Â follow him on Twitter
â€¢ The Comic Book App project can be purchased for $27 (USD). One purchase allows an author to release as many apps as they like. All five CodeStore book projects can be purchased together for just $57. You will need Mac OS X 10.6 and iOS SDK 4.2 developer kit to use the template.