1. Who are you and what are you working on right now? (2 questions in 1, I know!)
My name is Maarten Bouw. Along with my twin brother Manuel we operate an indy comic company called Drawn Out Dad Productions. I’m currently working on a monster detective story called Patchwork Detective as well as starting up a podcast (which is not about comic books)
2. What drew you to digital comics?
We had great success at local conventions with our printed comics, but wanted to reach a global audience.
3. Webcomics or digital comics?
We sell digital copies of all our books on drawnoutdad.bigcartel.com for 99 cents each, and whilst webcomics certainly has it’s place, we prefer digital comics.
4. What do you think works with digital comics?
The ease with which to purchase a comic. We have a lot of kid-friendly digital comics on our site for a parent who wants to give their child a fun, educational, and fun (yes double the fun) read, our digital comics are just perfect.
5. Can digital comics replace print comics?
I’m a huge fan of print comics but I certainly think digital comics will replace print comics in a few generations to come. It all depends on the customer’s preference for content and format.
6. How can print comics work with digital comics?
We offer both print comics and digital comics via our site, and so whilst some customers prefer to read their comics from a portable device or PC, there’s also the option of purchasing the print version to hold in your hands. I will add too, the print versions can be signed by us. 🙂
7. What don’t you like about digital comics?
As we sell a majority of our print comics at conventions, digital comics don’t offer a face-to-face customer experience. That is what I “don’t like” about digital.
8. What digital comics/webcomics do you read?
I am an avid reader of Eddie DeAngelini’s web comic, Collectors. It’s sheer brilliance. I will admit though that I do buy the annual print version too. 🙂
9. Where do you see digital comics going from here?
I can see digital comics expanding the learning experience of school-age readers, allowing them to grasp subjects in a different format and therefore enabling them to thoroughly enjoy the school experience.
10. Who do you think we should look out for in digital comics?
Whilst I’d like to say Drawn Out Dad Productions, the possibilities for all-new creators to be discovered is endless.