10 Questions With…
Mark Powers of BioWars!
- Who are you and what are you working on right now? (2 questions in 1, I know!)
Mark Powers, and I’m working on Biowars with Gabriel Shaoolian, Lucius Cross, Goncalo Lopes, and Joana Lafuente.
- What drew you to digital comics?
The opportunity to help Gabriel develop his very cool vision, and to work with some amazing artists. And, Gabriel and his team have had (and continue to develop) some really interesting ways to reach new readers.
- Webcomics or digital comics?
Why not both?
- What do you think works with digital comics?
For one thing, I think – although this is perhaps less true with the changes Comixology has undergone – you can reach new readers more easily. But as I alluded to above, Gabriel and his team have done some great things in an effort to reach those readers. Digital marketing is what they do, and they’ve put that expertise to use in building the Biowars IP.
- Can digital comics replace print comics?
I don’t think it’s necessary to their success to replace print comics. It’s two different groups of readers that do overlap, but not to such an extent that it’s an either or proposition.
- How can print comics work with digital comics?
That’s a broad question. I think it’s possible to design a story that utilizes both mediums equally well, if you’re referring to the two complementing each other.
- What don’t you like about digital comics?
I wouldn’t say there’s anything I dislike – maybe when I first read comics in digital formats, it was an adjustment not actually holding the book, but that was a long time ago. It’s just a different way to consume and experience comics.
- What digital comics/webcomics do you read?
Lots of stuff from Image, DC, Marvel…I tend to read individual issues in digital formats, but when I want to buy a collection, I’ll get the printed trade.
- Where do you see digital comics going from here?
I think it’ll continue to grow. The internet is something virtually everyone has access to–so while the landscape has changed a lot since Amazon bought Comixology, that basic fact makes it very likely digital comics will continue to grow and different creators and business people come up with new ways to exploit the medium and create new marketplaces.
- Who do you think we should look out for in digital comics? Umm…Biowars? 🙂