ComiXology has issued an update that delves deeper into the digital comics distributors links with Amazon and the Amazon Kindle brand.
Coming in the Autumn is a new storefront and updates to the various apps. There is still no news for those wishing to jump onto ComiXology Unlimited if you are outside North America though.
The updates are as follows:
- Our upgraded comiXology app will feature flexible filtering and sorting, and some fun book navigation features.
- A revamped digital comics shopping experience on Amazon where you’ll be able to browse, buy, and borrow books to read on either the comiXology or Kindle app. You can visit the new shopping experience today as we continue to bring new features online. ComiXology.com will redirect to this new experience when we launch.
- Faster, more reliable downloads on Android and iOS devices. Plus read-while-downloading is new for Android customers. (Yes, we’ve heard you!)
- Kindle Unlimited and Prime members will be able to borrow from a large library of graphic novels and manga and read on the comiXology app, in select countries.
- ComiXology purchases will be readable on Kindle apps and devices. Soon, you’ll also be able to read purchases from comiXology on the Kindle app, giving you more flexibility to decide where and how you read your books.
The update to the app, with the added features, is long overdue – although it works quite well as it is. The link to the Amazon storefront was due to come and to be honest, I’m surprised it took so long!
The link between Kindle Unlimited/Prime was also due to come soon. You can currently read Kindle purchases on the ComiXology app, so a reverse also makes sense.
There is beta testing going on now, and the ‘new’ ComiXology is due in the Autumn.